Coutdown until Japan!

I'm IN JAPAN!!! =D

Hello everyone, sorry for this late article, I should  also correct then because I have no accents on this keyboard... All this is because I have not wifi internet on my own computer.
In fact at Kansai Gaidai, I must register my computer before I can access the network. I intend to do this in the future among thousands of other things that I am asked to do here!
For the moment I am on a public computer with American keyboard...

Today is an exception (I have absolutely nothing to make this day), I want to give you some news of the last 3 days!

Let's begin with the flight. It was really great, and I have almost no fear despite numerous turbulence between Paris and Osaka. Travel with Air France is rather nice because the drinks are unlimited and the food is distributed regularly. I had no problem with my luggage, my suitcase was 22.400kg and they have not weighed my hand luggage (my small suitcase and my bag).
But airport controls are really demanding (for exemple I should remove my computer out of his bag and submit alone...).
Apart from that the flight was quite long and uncomfortable in economy class. The seats are really a torture, and lack of space to stretch the legs. I could not sleep even with sleeping pills. On each seat there is a screen that provides access to movies, music, games and flight informations (such as a map or the cameras on the plane), so there is no lack of occupations.
A Japanese boy also took my email address in the aircraft, he said he live in Kyoto and he would be delighted to show me if I want, I thought it was really nice! ^ ^

The arrival at the airport in Osaka was very impressive! We flew over a part of Japan (it's very different from other countries from above) to finally come landed on this island in the ocean.
After that, I was brought by rail shuttle to the airport itself (I wanted to take pictures of the shuttle but was not allowed to take photos before going through customs).
We arrived in the lobby of Japanese immigration service, with three offices: one for the Japanese, one for the holders of a "re-entry permit" ( those with foreign visas and a permit allowing them to exit and enter again in Japan during the period of validity of their visa) and other foreigners (me for example) visa holders (tourist, student, work ...).
The security officers at the airport are very serious and impressive, but the immigration officers are rather nice and patient. Indeed after waiting you must submit your passport to an immigration officer who stamps it, and  take a picture of you and fingerprints of your two forefingers.
After that, I went to the counter to retrieve my luggage, in a more or less advanced destruction status.... Mine has survived but not without difficulty. And I pass the customs where we cross the dog handler and his dog sniff for drugs and where plainclothes officers randomly ask people open their luggages to check its contents (I don` t have been controlled lol) .

Then I finally arrived in the public part of the airport. It was a shock, it's really big, 4 levels including one devoted exclusively to restaurant and shops.
I invite you to visit my online album (see bottom of article) to see the details, I took some pictures in the airport.
I took my shower at the airport, and have visited everywhere before joining Dina (a Egyptian student who is also in Kansai Gaidai) at 18:15, I got there was about 8:40.
We spent the night in the airport, which was not really comfortable but I was so tired that I slept well anyway. Around midnight, two police officers have awakened to check our passports. I was struck by how much they are polite and respectful (Japan 1 - 0 France). They apologized many times have we woke up and thanked us /wishing us good night.
People in Japan are very different in private and professional life I think, but they are very formal such as in stores. After a few hours I had hurt my neck because of tilting the head to say hello or thank you! lol

The next day we went together to the meeting point and we met other students going to Kansai Gaidai. We took the bus which led us to Kansai Gaidai. I took a photo or two on the road but the majority of the road was surrounded by a wall of plastic. It's really weird to ride in the wrong direction, I think I'll put a time before being used to it.

We arrived at the seminar house 4 where volunteer students (I understand) have supported us and distributed in our various homes and rooms. I took pictures of the room that I was pleasantly surprised! The closets are huge, everything is very clean, the futon is comfortable (yes, I assure you Mom I slept very well ^ ^), and Japanese style with sliding panels that separate the office room of rest is super cute!
My roommate name is Jennifer Natasha, she is from Holland but Spanish origin (thus she speaks Spanish), and was a third person but she will leave for homestay program (she is just the first week before joining his family home) .

I made huge progress in English since my arrival! I manage to communicate with people, I'm very comfortable, although when two Americans are talking to them I don't understand more than half.
I had the opportunity to speak a little Japanese but I have the basics, so difficult to hold a conversation.

The climate here is very hot (30 degrees day and night) and very humid. But there is air conditioning in the rooms and the most common parts of the seminar house. It's very nice to just change room to go from hot to cold or oposite! lol

I have not pay very attention to my yens, but here it's quite expensive, it goes really fast, I better be careful! Some things are more expensive and other less than in France.

Tomorrow the real fun begins so I don't know when I'll write to you again.

Link to online album ( clik to see pictures)

Have a nice day.
2010年08月29日 01:25 PM

29/08/2010  6:25

No comments:

Post a Comment